Reece James says he is “devastated” to miss out on England’s World Cup squad.
The Chelsea defender is recovering from a knee injury sustained last month and has confirmed he will not be going to Qatar.
England head coach Gareth Southgate names his final squad on Thursday night – and James suggested he wanted to be included despite the injury.
READ MORE: Records tumble as Pakistan books final ticket
READ MORE: NZ under microscope after ‘timid’ World Cup exit
READ MORE: Wallabies shake-up continues with new captain
“Devastated,” he tweeted. “The minute I injured my knee, I knew the turn around to make the World Cup would be tight, but I always felt it was possible. I’ve worked harder than I ever thought I could to give myself the best chance of going and truly believed I could help the team.
“I appreciate there was risk on both sides but it was one I was willing to take. Good luck to the boys. I’ll be back soon. Stay safe and sending love.”
James injured his knee in a match against AC Milan on October 11. It’s reportedly an eight-week injury.
Fellow defender Kyle Walker is also racing the clock to be fit for the World Cup, after having groin surgery at the start of October.
The Manchester City star told the BBC he was “confident” he’d be fit for England’s first match at the World Cup against Iran on November 21.
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here